Wednesday, April 27, 2011

The photo that haunts my 'fight to be fit'

Readers of the paper-version of this "fight to be fit" campaign give me lovely compliments when they spot me in public. It's wonderful! And then immediately following, many of them say, "You know, you look NOTHING like your picture." I'm so used that -- which I sort of consider to be an unintentional insult -- that I always say the same thing in response: Oh yeah, well, that was five years and a few pounds ago (laughs).

Just today at the gym, I was taking a Step class, and a lovely woman comes up and says, "I think it's so wonderful that you're writing about all of this in the paper." I said, "Oh, thank you so much. That's so kind of you. You know, you're the first person to recognize me from my picture. Most people say I look nothing like it." And she said (lol), "Oh, well, you don't. I just saw you talking to Joe Tougas, so there's The Free Press connection, and then I asked someone if it was you."

: |

My column mugshot (taken from my family picture, above, with my mom and sister) has to be the most conversation-generating of any other at The Free Press. Who knew someone could look so different from a photo that complete strangers feel the need to point it out so often?

Let me just say, in my defense, I'm sweaty and non-makeuped at the gym, and my hair's tied back, and ... OK, so maybe I've got a few pounds to go before I resemble that picture again. But hey, we all put our best mugs forward around here.

No comments:

Post a Comment