Sunday, April 17, 2011

After 18 years, I finally own a dress

Well, it was time. I'd been resisting the temptation to buy new clothes. My argument was that I'm in transition mode. So why plop down a whole bunch of money on clothes I hope to not fit into in a few months, anyway? My mom's argument was more convincing than mine: "The waistband of those pants is practically doubled over, held up only by a belt, and there's so much extra fabric, it's making you look puffy around the middle. I never want to see those pants again. Like it or not, you're buying new pants."

What do you say to that besides, "OK, mom"? I should realize, when my mom has that certain look on her face, arguing is futile. So I did what I hate to do most: I headed to hilltop on a Saturday to shop. Dear God, hilltop on a Saturday. The things we do for our mothers.

My favorite store in the WORLD is Maurice's. They have the cutest, trendiest clothes for all sizes of girl. You will find no matronly pieces in the place, even if your booty is bodacious. And thanks to the clearance rack, I found two pairs of work pants for $16 apiece and a jean skirt for $8. I also got a non-clearance pair of jeans with a great wash for $32. I mean, seriously. Bargain City.

Then we went to Gordmans, where there's always something unexpected (wink, wink). If you've never been and you like a good deal, ladies, go check out their tops. Cutest summer tops ever. I bought several. ... And get this ... I bought a dress. I did. I bought the first dress I've owned since ... oh, jeez, I'd say my choir concert in sixth grade. So yeah, it's been a while. I had tried on a similar dress a few weeks ago that from the front was all right, but then I turned to the side and it was all butt, baby. Way too much butt. So I waited it out. And now, it's not bad at all.

The trouble with owning a dress in Mankato is that I have nowhere to wear it. No women at work wear dresses. And if I wore one, people would look at me like I was trying to make some sort of statement about my new body. And I'm not. Plus, I have a ways to go on my journey, so I don't want anyone thinking I'm making statements yet. I can't really wear it to a bar, or to the park with the dog, or out shopping. And those are the only places I go. So, I guess I'll have to think on that.

The funnest part of the whole experience was seeing I'd gone down about four to six sizes. That's always fun. : ) Hopefully, I'll go down a few more in the next few months. But then what will I do with all my pretty new clothes? Hmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment