Friday, February 25, 2011

Step class? More like Out of Step class! ... Get it?

Years ago, believe it or not, I was a Step master. I strolled into the Y at 8:15, and I owned the Reebok Step in the upstairs gym. Led by Lynette on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, and Killer Beth on Tuesdays and Thursdays (5:30 p.m., I think), I kicked and jumped and kneed my way through an hour's worth of high-impact cardio. I was awesome!

Cut to this morning. I still strolled in like I owned the place. But that's about where the deja vu ended. No more Lynette. Apparently she teaches water aerobics now. In her place was a lovely, sprightly red-head whose energy got me going, for sure, but whom I had a lot of trouble following after so many years out of commission.

I started with risers under my step. I mean, I've been working with a trainer for two months! I've been exercising at least five hours a week for just as long! I've got this! ... No, no. By break, I was huffing and puffing, face red, miserable. I had to remove my risers to keep going.

At first I was able to follow the routine. I still know what to do when she says "corner knees," or "three knees," or "turn it," and "diagonal." But I couldn't quite grasp the combinations today. Something about a diagonal and off the back and two steps to the middle then lunge off the side then jacks then around the step then ... um ...

It also didn't help that the teacher -- while she was great, and I was sweating, and that's the whole point -- wasn't on her game today, it seemed. Her words didn't match her movements and she kept correcting herself. So, for the last third, I just kind of did my own thing. The most important thing is to just keep moving, anyway.

Even though the above scenario sounds like a real mess, it was actually really energizing. And the parts I could follow were really fun. I haven't sweat that much in a long time, so I think it'll be a good, fun addition to my cardio routine to incorporate more of those Step classes into my routine.

Also, a lady in class put a bug in my ear that on Tuesdays and Thursdays, there's a strength-training class that might make the transition from having a trainer a lot easier. Apparently, it's a difficult class. So between that and Step, I would have five workouts planned for me. FOR FREE!

Now I just have to build up to using the risers again and not gasping for air the whole time.

No comments:

Post a Comment