Saturday, February 5, 2011

The momentum test

I'm going to be bold and say that anyone can diet for a month. For any of you who haven't reached a month before quitting, trust me, so have I. But when you're in that determined state of mind, a month is fairly easy.

I call it the Diet Momentum. It's a serge of stick-to-it-iveness that fills your mind with only positive thoughts. "I can do this. I will. There's no going back now. I'll never see this number on the scale again."

The true test of will comes when routine sets in, achievements have been made, however minor, and your brain loses that cloud of determination. It's a tricky time because you've got to keep up the momentum without that incredible drive that kickstarted you like a bat out of hell. Truly now, after a little more than a month, this is when the hard part sets in.

I will admit, I had one bad night. I was talking with my trainer about the occasional glass of wine, and she said it's not terrible. The trick is to stop at one. Alcohol and inhibition, as many of us know, are best friends. So I went out one night with my day's worth of calories within the boundary I have set for myself. And I decided to have a glass of Cabarnet, my favorite kind of red wine. After not having a drop of alcohol for over a month, one made me feel pretty good. Which made one lead to two and then three and, yes, a fourth. Four glasses of wine.

Guess how many calories that adds to the day? 500. More than a typical meal for me.

What have I learned? I'm not ready yet. In this critical stage of weightloss when the momentum is waning and my will is tested, I don't need anything to make it harder.

Cabarnet, I'll see you in a few months.

No comments:

Post a Comment