Saturday, January 23, 2010

The SAGs: Tough call on best cast


Tonight, as you may know, the Screen Actors Guild Awards are on TBS and TNT. They were supposed to be Jan. 31, but some kind of scheduling conflict caused them to be moved up, and I'm not complaining. I love awards season, and the sooner we get passed No. 2 of the big three (Golden Globes and SAGs being numbers 1 and 2), the sooner we can get to the night of nights: The Oscars.

So without delay, here are my pics for the big prizes. Really no surprises in the acting categories. All are pretty much locks, except best actress which could go to either Meryl and Sandra. But the best cast (SAGs version of best picture sort of), is trickly. Avatar isn't up for it, thank god. Apparently someone with the SAGs knows what they're doing. The Hurt Locker took best picture at Critics Choice, but because the key word at SAGs is "best cast," I'm thinking perhaps voters might see the movie as being about the overall picture rather than the acting. So ... what to pick? Read on and find out.

Best Supporting Actor
Matt Damon, Invictus
Woody Harrelson, The Messenger
Christopher Plummer, The Last Station
Stanley Tucci, The Lovely Bones
Christoph Waltz, Inglourious Basterds

No one can take away Waltz's winning streak. He deserves it for sure, but I'm wondering how weird his speech will be tonight. They're always weird.

Best Supporting Actress
Penélope Cruz, Nine
Vera Farmiga, Up in the Air
Anna Kendrick, Up in the Air
Diane Kruger, Inglourious Basterds
Mo’Nique, Precious

Hurray Mo'Nique! I have a feeling this will be her first and only time sweeping an awards season. She found the perfect role and magic happened. But I find it very unlikely another role like this will come around again.

Best Actor
Jeff Bridges, Crazy Heart
George Clooney, Up in the Air
Colin Firth, A Single Man
Morgan Freeman, Invictus
Jeremy Renner, The Hurt Locker

Poor George. Poor Colin. They were both so very good. And I'd much rather see a George speech than a Jeff one. But the stars have aligned, and it's Jeff's year.


Best Actress
Sandra Bullock, The Blind Side
Helen Mirren, The Last Station
Carey Mulligan, An Education
Gabourey Sidibe, Precious
Meryl Streep, Julie & Julia

If I had my way, Carey Mulligan would take home every single award this season, including Oscar. But no one seems to be talking about her except for me. The buzz surrounds Sandra Bullock for reasons I can't possibly fathom and Meryl Streep. I'd be OK with a Meryl win. When does Meryl not deserve an award, really. But another Sandra win would throw me into a fit of rage. Don't do it to me, SAGs.


Best Cast
An Education
The Hurt Locker
Inglourious Basterds
Nine
Precious

This category is such a tough call. None of them have swept in writing, directing, best ensemble or best picture categories. The Hurt Locker and Inglourious Basterds have each won awards that lead me to believe each is capable of taking this one. But because we have to look at the cast overall, and not the movie overall, I have to go with Inglourious Basterds. I don't think An Education has enough hype behind it, I don't think The Hurt Locker has the acting talent, Nine is completely out because the movie was awful, and Precious seems to only be getting attention for Mo'Nique and not much else.


We'll see what happens!

No comments:

Post a Comment