Thursday, December 15, 2011

Awards Season is almost upon us!

Today is the day!!!

This is absolutely my favorite time of year, for so very many reasons. For one, I love Christmas. For two, my birthday is Sunday. Hurray! And for three, the nominations start coming out for my second-favorite time of year ... AWARDS SEASON!

Thursday, bright and early, the nominations for the Golden Globe Awards were announced live on TV.

The list is usually my reference guide for the movies I absolutely have to see before Oscar night in March, although I try to have a good portion of the list accomplished by the end of January, when the Awards Season kicks off with the Screen Actors Guild awards and the Critics' Choice, and of course the dumb ol' People's Choice (where movies like "Twilight" actually have a shot at winning things -- ho-hum).

So, folks, I'm excited to announce that these are a few of the movies to look for this season (best picture-drama candidates): "The Descendants," "The Help," "Hugo," "The Ides of March," "Moneyball" and "War Horse."

Funny enough, I've actually seen half of these: "The Help," "The Ides of March" and "Moneyball." And frankly, I'm a little bit surprised how mainstream this list is. Usually there are titles I haven't even heard of.

Could this be the year of the award-winning blockbusters instead of the indie darlings?

For you indie lovers, some acting and writing award nominations were included for movies like "Albert Nobbs" (Glenn Close for best actress-drama); "Iron Lady" (Meryl Streep for best actress-drama); "We Need to Talk About Kevin" (Tilda Swinton for best actress-drama); and "Shame" (Michael Fassbender for best actor-drama).

Other indies up for nods that I am looking forward to seeing include "The Artist" and "My Week With Marilyn." I hate to call it early, folks, but I'm thinking this Awards Season is going to be quite kind to Michelle Williams who plays Marilyn Monroe. Best Actress Oscar? It's quite possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment