Thursday, December 24, 2009

Oscar watch 2010


I feel, one of my better qualities, is my willingness to admit when I am wrong. And, as I've been watching some of the likely Oscar contendors, I've realized that stating there are practically no good movies coming out in the final quarter of 2009 was a bit hasty. I have seen several now that I have very much enjoyed.

Two that you all MUST SEE are Inglourious Basterds and Precious. Precious was incredibly hard to watch. Don't expect a Walt Disney ending, where Precious graduates high school, gets a job, meets a great man and they all live happily ever after. The greatness of this film lies in how brave it is in staying real. No punches are pulled. Finally, we're given a look at what a life of poverty and oppression in the black community is really like. This is the story of one abused, neglected teenager having children fathered by her own father. She can't read or write. She's dependent on a mother who beats and verbally abuses her and who wants her to go to the welfare office to start collecting government checks in lieu of going to school. Be prepared for the worst, and then don't be surprised when your expectations are blown away.

Inglourious Basterds is probably Quentin Tarantino's best work to date. Every time I watch one of his movies, I think, "This guy is nuts." And he is! He's just as nutty in this movie, and at every turn there's always something that makes me think, "Now, why would he do that?" Which is part of the fun. This story, like all of his, unfolds in chapters with various characters being introduced that all play an intricate part in the grand finale that is sure to amaze you. He's topped himself once again, and so far, this is my favorite movie of the year.

I have a ways to go. I've compiled a list of all the Golden Globe candidates, except for foreign films, which are harder to find before the show. I vow each year to see all the movies up for awards before the awards show so that I can make educated guesses on winners and also choose my favorites. Below is the list of what I've seen and what I haven't. Twenty-three days to go! I'd better get to work.

Seen so far
Brothers, The Hangover, Julie and Julia, The Proposal, Duplicity, Up, Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs, Everybody’s Fine, Precious, Inglourious Basterds, The Blind Side, (500) Days of Summer, Where the Wild Things Are

Movies I Need to See Before Oscars
Avatar
The Hurt Locker
Up In The Air
It’s Complicated
Nine
The Young Victoria
The Last Station
An Education
Crazy Heart
A Single Man
Invictus
The Informant!
Sherlock Holmes
A Serious Man
The Messenger
The Lovely Bones
Fantastic Mr. Fox

No comments:

Post a Comment